Yeah. I start student teaching in about a week. Well, officially I start March 7; but I plan to be at my cooperating school one day next week and then nearly full-time by February 1.
I'm feeling excited, actually. Also, a little nauseous. I find myself remembering all of my professors telling me it is good to be a little nervous, because that shows I care. But, I wonder...how many public school teachers end up with ulcers? I mean between having to be "a little nervous" to get through and all of the necessary caffiene to keep things going... Maybe I should invest in some Tums.
All hypochondria aside, I really am looking forward to this. I have been observing/teaching at a middle school for my J-Term class for about three weeks and it has been absolutely wonderful. The students are great, the teachers are great, the administrators are great, my classmates are great... Seriously. It has been a whole lot of wonderful. It has been comforting to fit in to a middle school so well, because it tells me that I really am cut out to be a middle school teacher. It's not my second choice...it's my first choice. And that's how it should be.
Young adolescents don't need teachers who picked them second. They need teachers who will advocate for them. I am willing to do that. Now, I just need to be prepared.
Hence...my writings here. Reflection is -- apparently -- necessary to all good teaching. Here, I can write efficiently, but muse and mull. I can ask questions and others might respond. I can post my lesson plans, and see if they float a little.
I am not here to complain. I know I will need to keep reminding myself this. I am also not here to rant about how difficult it is. Of course it is difficult. If it weren't, everyone would want to teach for their profession because everyone has some sort of stake in the industry (themselves, taxes, kids, communities...) If I do (rant that is), I hope I at least use it as a learning tool.
I intend to use many of the journal questions from my textbooks. As I read for classes from these books, I never had time to really consider these questions. But, they're there for a reason, right? I might as well use them to my advantage.
But, my readers -- if I have them -- can expect an update on how things are going as well.
I will not use specific school names here. I really want to protect the privacy of my school, my colleagues, and my students. Besides, this way...your imagination can be put to use more!
Enjoy. Happy learning.
No comments:
Post a Comment