Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Assessment Freaks Me Out

Okay, teachers and readers...perhaps readers who are teachers...
...I am soliciting your advice.

I gave a quiz on poetry today. No multiple choice and no true/false. I slightly regret not including multiple choice, but only slightly. But, I did have a typo that I am wondering about. I need to know whether or not to exclude the question from the scoring process.

The question required students to write in the word they would use to describe a rhythmical foot in a line of poetry (they could choose from iamb, trochee, anapest, dactyl, or spondee).

The prompt read "Two unstressed syllables, followed by a stressed syllable." Then I gave the phonetic spelling of the beats [de-de-DUMM]. Then I gave the symbol for two unstressed syllables and a stressed syllable, but I left out one of the symbols for an unstressed syllable.

The correct answer was "anapest", but the symbol makes it look like an iamb.

Less than half of the eighth grade got the quesiton wrong, and even fewer missed it because they were only looking at the symbol.

Statistically, I don't think I need to throw out this question. However, it was a pretty stupid typo to make and not catch on the 100th proofread.

What do you think I should do?

No comments:

Post a Comment